Saturday 15 December 2012

Grilled goat meat & sautéed efo

So, this was a quickie. I was hungry, oga was out so what could a girl whip up quickly that was both healthy, but required little effort on my part? After poking around the fridge to see what my options were I came up with this dish. Now, I have not eaten goat meat in ages. In fact I’ve been avoiding it completely. Partly because when you buy it from the market it has the skin on it and the bone in. Now although bone in meat is much tastier than boneless, the bones on goat meat tend to be quite brittle. So I never really enjoy eating it for the bones. Besides, Nigerian goats are quite lean and so spending more time fighting the bones versus savouring the meat is hardly my first choice. Anyhoot! I went to a local supermarket in Victoria Island Lagos with an in-store butcher and here it was, a nice lean cut of boneless goat meat. Mind you I bought this a couple of weeks ago
and it’s been in the freezer. Finally it made it on to my chopping board.  So my next dilemma was what to make with it. Definitely was not in the mood for any highly elaborate cooking given it was a Sunday evening. So what did I end up doing?  Thinly slicing the meat, seasoning and grilling it and popped it on a bed of sautéed efo (aka African spinach). Needless to say this was a. YUM! b. genius (if I may say so myself) and c. so easy to make!  Hope you try it out.
Enjoy!

Thinly sliced goat meat seasoned with spices, drizzled with EVOO, covered in onions and ready for in the oven.

Started to sweat (yes sweat!) some red bell peppers (tatashe), onions and spices in a pan with a table spoon of palm oil. You can use any oil you like or sweat these in water. I like the taste that palm oil gives to Nigerian dishes so I added in just a bit to capture the flavour.

I threw in chopped efo leaves. Love rich green vegetables don’t  you?!

Done in 45 mins! And that includes prep time.

Grilled Goat Meat Ingredients
500g cut of skinless, boneless goat meat (note: I had enough for left overs)
2 medium red onions
1 tspn salt
1 tspn black pepper (you can use dried chilli pepper if you wish)
2 tbsn olive oil

Sautéed Efo Ingredients
150g of efo leaves (can substitute with spinach, bok choy)
1 large red bell pepper
1 medium red onion
1 tbsn palm oil
1 tspn salt
1 tspn dried chilli pepper
1/4 cup of basil leaves

Preparation
  1. Thinly slice the goat meat in to strips. Place in a bowl.
  2. Mix the dry spices together and pour into the bowl of sliced meat. Make sure the meat is covered with the spices.
  3. Lay the meat out on a baking pan.  Drizzle with olive oil.  You can leave these to marinade in fridge until you are ready to cook them or you can put  them in the oven right away
  4. Stick them in the oven at 170C and cook for 20 minutes
  5. Julinne (or thinly slice) the onion and red bell peppers
  6. Wash and chop the efo leaves and the basil
  7. Heat a medium pan on the stove and add the palm oil. Let it heat up for 2-3 minutes
  8. Add the chopped peppers and onions the oil and sweat them (till the onions become translucent and the peppers should be al dente)
  9. Add in the efo leaves and basil. Stir ingredients until the greens are well mixed in. Remove from the heat.
  10. Plate the veggies, top off with baked goat meat and garlic and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finish Reading ? Make Your Comment Now..!