Wednesday 5 November 2014

British-Nigerian Man in UK Banned from Work over Ebola Fears




Sam Ogunnoiki

A Nigerian man in the UK who is a British citizen, has been banned from his workplace over fears that he may have contracted Ebola during a recent trip to Nigeria.

The 46-year-old man, Sam Ogunnoiki, who is an employee of Stout Security Ltd where he works as a security guard, was told that he couldn’t resume work until was back in the UK for three weeks, and a British doctor certified him Ebola-free, Pulse NG reports.

According to reports, Ogunnoiki received a letter from his boss which stated:


I have spoken to you and expressed my very deep concerns about your trip to Nigeria.

Several members of staff have now voiced their concerns about the possibility of your carrying the Ebola virus back with you and have made it very clear that they are extremely reluctant to work with you on your return.

One member of staff has even written a clear and concise letter stating the concerns of your work colleagues. In this case I have to support their concerns especially as I have already voiced them personally to you.

In order to allay any fears that you are a carrier for this deadly virus I feel I cannot allow you

to return to work until you have been back in the United Kingdom for three weeks, which is the incubation period.




I must also request that you visit your doctor on your return and get a clean bill of health before you can start work with us. I am very sorry about this Sam but everyone works in close proximity together and I have to put the concerns of the majority first.

In response to the ban, Ogunnoiki says “Nigeria does not have Ebola but he said I have to be cleared. There is this stigma surrounding me now – it’s just ignorance and a nightmare because I cannot work. I’m a British citizen. There is no justification for this at all.”

Photo Credit: Metro UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finish Reading ? Make Your Comment Now..!