Friday 25 July 2014

10 Popular Songs That Are Actually Female Empowerment Anthems


Today's music industry is filled with plenty of powerful woman, so it's no surprise their music is just as empowered. Some of them identify as feminists, others do not, but the common thread is their music inspires us.

1. "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyoncé

One, because it's Queen Bey, living proof that a woman can run the world. Two, because she

says, "Strong enough to bear the children, then get back to business." Owned.

2. "I Love It" by Icona POP featuring Charli XCX

 The core of feminism, after all, is owning the right to like what you like and do what you want to do — and not needing to apologize for it. And so we say, "I don't care, I love it."

3. "So What" by Pink 

Pink is badass no matter what she does, but in this song she's all about her independence. "I'm gonna show you tonight. I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool. So, so what." Burn.


4. "Let It Go" by Idina Menzel

 Menzel's Frozen character, Elsa, is a feminist hero in her own right, declaring no one can hold her back anymore. "It's time to see what I can do. To test the limits and break through." Perfection.

5. "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato

 If anyone knows a thing or two about having incredible strength, it's Lovato. We've all got our problems, and this song is the perfect inspiration to rise back up. "Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground. Like a skyscraper." Done.

6. "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
Trainor is all about the confidence in this awesome new song where she's totally proud of her body. "You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Barbie doll. So, if that's what's you're into, then go ahead and move along."

7. "BO$$" by Fifth Harmony

 This one praises the #GirlBoss, even giving props to some of favorites like Michelle Obama and Oprah. Oh, and, "I pledge allegiance to my independent girls in here." Hell yeah.

8. "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedengfield

 Besides reminding us of the years 2006 to 2010 (The Hills, obviously), this song is way inspiring — "I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines. We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way." Do you, girl.

9. "No Scrubs" by TLC

 This throwback tune has sentiments like "I don't want your number" and "I don't want to give you mine" which still ring much too true today in a world where women are expected  to alwats be interested. News flash: We're not.

10. "Wannabe" by Spice Girls

 So much is right about this classic hit. "If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends," because friends are forever, duh. And then, "If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give. Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is," because #equality.


Facebook Comment Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finish Reading ? Make Your Comment Now..!